Honda Accord: Piston Ring Replacement
1. Remove the piston from the engine block (see page 7-14).
2. Using a ring expander (A), remove the old piston rings (B).
3. Clean all ring grooves thoroughly with a squared-off broken ring or ring groove cleaner with a blade to fit the piston grooves.
The top and 2nd ring grooves are 1.2 mm (0.05 in) wide. The oil ring groove is 2.0 mm (0.08 in) wide.
File down a blade if necessary.
Do not use a wire brush to clean the ring grooves, or cut the ring grooves deeper with the cleaning tools.
NOTE: If the piston is to be separated from the connecting rod, do not install the new rings yet.
4. Using a piston that has its rings removed, push a new ring (A) into the cylinder bore 15-вЂќ20 mm (0.6-вЂќ0.8 in) from the bottom.
5. Measure the piston ring end-gap (B) with a feeler gauge: - If the gap is too small, check to see if you have the proper rings for your engine.
- If the gap is too large, recheck the cylinder bore diameter against the wear limits (see page 7-17).
If the bore is beyond the service limit, the engine block must be re bo red.
Piston Ring End-Gap
Top Ring: Standard (New): 0.20-0.35 mm (0.008- 0.014 in)
Service Limit: 0.60 mm (0.024 in)
Standard (New): 0.50-0.65 mm (0.020-0.026 in)
Service Limit: 0.70 mm (0.028 in)
Standard (New): 0.20-0.70 mm (0.008-0.028 in)
Service Limit: 0.75 mm (0.030 in)
6. Install the top ring and the second ring as shown. The top ring (A) has a 1R mark, and the second ring (B) has a 2RN mark. The manufacturing marks (C) must face upward.
Piston Ring Dimensions
Top Ring (Standard):
A: 2.7 mm (0.11 in)
B: 1.2 mm (0.05 in)
Second Ring (Standard):
A: 3.4 mm (0.13 in
B: 1.2 mm (0.05 in)
7. After installing a new set of rings, measure the ring-to-groove clearances:
Top l i ng Clearance
Standard (New): 0.060-вЂќ0.085 mm
Service Limit: Р’В§.13 mm (0.005 In)
Second Ring Clearance
Standard (New): 0.040-вЂќ0.065 mm
Service Limit: 0.13 mm (0.005 in)
8. Rotate the rings in their grooves to make sure they do not bind.
9. Position the ring end gaps as shown.
If equipped Turn the fog lights on and off by turning the switch next to the headlight switch. You can use the fog lights only when the headlights are on low beam. With the light switch in ...
Audio System Basic Operation
To use the audio system function, the power mode must be in ACCESSORY or ON. Use the interface dial or MENU button to access some audio functions. Press to switch between the normal and ext ...
Component Location Index
4-Door 4-Door 2-Door 2-Door ...