Honda Accord: Camshaft Inspection
NOTE: Do not rotate the camshaft during inspection.
1. Remove the cylinder head (see page 6-76).
2. Disassemble the rocker arm assembly (see page 6-82).
3. Remove the rocker arm assembly (see page 6-81).
4. Put the rocker shaft holders, the camshaft, and the camshaft holders on the cylinder head, then tighten the bolts, in sequence, to the specified torque.
NOTE: If the engine does not have bolt Р’В© , skip it and continue the torque sequence.
8 x 1.25 mm 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 Ibf-ft)
6x1.0 mm 12 N-m (1.2 kgfm, 8.7 Ibf-ft)
6x1.0 mm Bolts: ,
5. Seat the camshaft by pushing it away from the camshaft pulley end of the cylinder head.
6. Zero the dial indicator against the end of the camshaft, then push the camshaft back and forth, and read the end play. If the end play is beyond the service limit, replace the cylinder head and recheck. If it is still beyond the service limit, replace the camshaft.
Camshaft End Play
Standard (New): 0.05-вЂќ0.20 mm (0.002-0.008 in)
Service Limit: 0.4 mm (0.02 in)
7. Loosen the camshaft holder bolts two turns at a time, in a crisscross pattern. Then remove the camshaft holders from the cylinder head.
8. Lift the camshafts out of the cylinder head, wipe them clean, then inspect the lift ramps. Replace the camshaft if any lobes are pitted, scored, or excessively worn.
9. Clean the camshaft journal surfaces in the cylinder head, then set the camshafts back in place. Place a plastigage strip across each journal.
10. Install the camshaft holders, then tighten the bolts to the specified torque as shown in step 4.
11. Remove the camshaft holders. Measure the widest portion of plastigage on each journal.
- If the camshaft-to-holder clearance is within the service limits, go to step 13.
- If the camshaft-to-holder clearance is beyond the service limit,;and the camshaft has been replaced, replace the cylinder head. - - If the camshaft-to-holder clearance is beyond the * service limit, and the camshaft has not been replaced, go to step 12.
Camshaft-to-Holder Oil Clearance
No. 1 Journal: Р’В§.Р’В§3Р’В§-вЂќi.OSS mm
No. 2,3,4,5 Journals: 0.060'-вЂќ0.099 mm
Service Limit: 0.15 mm (0.006 in)
12. Check the total runout with the camshaft supported on V-blocks.
- If the total runout of the camshaft is within the service limit, replace the cylinder head.
- If the total runout is beyond the service limit, replace the camshaft and recheck the camshaft-to-holder oil clearance. If the oil clearance is still beyond the service limit, replace the cylinder head.
Camshaft Total Runout
Standard (New): 0.03 mm (0.001 in) max.
Service Limit: 0.04 mm (0.002 in)
13. Measure the cam lobe height.
Cam Lobe Height Standard (New):
Engine Type K24Z3: 2.4 L DOHC i-VTEC Sequential Multiport Fuel-injected, 190HP engine Serial Number 1000001-: Except PZEV 1500001-: PZEV ...
If the vehicle needs to be towed, call a professional towing service. Never tow the vehicle behind another vehicle with just a rope or chain It is very dangerous. Emergency Towing There are three ...
NOTE: Refer to the Exploded View in the Mainshaft Reassembly, as needed, when removing components pressed onto the mainshaft (see page 13-38). 1. Remove the angular ball bearing (A) and the taper ...