Honda Accord: Mainshaft 5th Gear Axial Clearance Inspection
1. Remove the mainshaft transmission housing bearing (seepage 14-270).
2. Install the thrust needle bearing ( A ) , 5th gear ( B ) , the needle bearing (C), the thrust needle bearing (D), the 41 x 68 mm thrust washer (E), the 4th/5th clutch (F), the 4th gear collar (G), and the transmission housing bearing ( H ) on the mainshaft ( I ) . Do not install the O-rings during inspection.
3. Install the idler gear (J) on the mainshaft with a press, then install the conical spring washer (K) and the locknut (L).
4. Tighten the locknut to 29 N-m (3.0 kgfm, 22 Ibf-ft).
5. Set a dial indicator ( A ) on 5th gear ( B ) .
6. Lift 5th gear (A) up while holding the mainshaft, and use the dial indicator (B) to read the 5th gear axial clearance.
7. Measure the 5th gear axial clearance in at least three places while moving 5th gear. Use the average as the actual clearance.
Standard: 0.04-0.10 mm (0.002-0.004 In)
8. If the clearance is out of standard, remove the 41 x 68 mm thrust washer and measure its thickness (A).
3. Select and install a new thrust washer, then recheck.
THRUST WASHER, 41 x 68 mm
10. After replacing the thrust washer, make sure the clearance is within the standard.
11. Disassemble the installed parts from the mainshaft.
12. Reinstall the transmission housing bearing in the transmission housing (see page 14-271).
Mainshaft Disassembly, Inspection, and Reassembly1. Inspect the thrust needle bearings and the needle bearings for galling and rough movement 2. Inspect the splines for excessive wear and damage. 3. Check the shaft bearing surface for scorin ...
Countershaft Disassembly, Inspection, and Reassembly1. Inspect the needle bearings for galling and rough movement. 2. Inspect the splines for excessive wear and damage. 3. Check the shaft bearing surface for scoring and excessive wear. 4. Lubr ...
Gross AxleWeight Rating (GAWR):
The maximum allowable weight at the vehicle axles is: U.S. models LX: 2,337 lbs (1,060 kg) on the front axle 2,006 lbs (910 kg) on the rear axle EX and EX-L: 2,414 lbs (1,095 kg) on the fro ...
Using Cruise Control
1. Push the CRUISE button on the steering wheel. The CRUISE MAIN indicator on the instrument panel comes on. The cruise control systemcan be left on, even when it is not in use. 2. Acceler ...
Stabilizer Link Removal/Installation
1. Raise and support the vehicle (see page 1 -13). 2. Remove the front wheel. 3. Remove the self-locking nut (A) and the flange nut (B) while holding the respective joint pin (C) with a hex wr ...