Honda Accord: Shift Cable Adjustment
1. Remove the center console (see page 20-158).
2. Move the shift lever to R.
3. Remove the nut securing the shift cable end.
4. Unlock the retainer (A).
5. Rotate the socket holder retainer (A) counterclockwise (B) until it stops, and push the retainer lock (C) into the socket holder retainer to lock the retainer.
6. Slide the socket holder (A) away from the bracket as shown to remove the shift cable (B) from the shift cable bracket (C). Do not remove the shift cable by pulling the shift cable guide (D).
7. Push the shift cable (A) until it stops, then release it.
Pull the shift cable back one step so that the shift position is in R. Do not hold the shift cable guide (B) to adjust the shift cable.
8. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), and check that the R position indicator comes on.
9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
10. Place the shift lever in R, then insert a 6.0 mm (0.24 in) pin (A) into the positioning hole (B) on the shift lever, through the positioning hole on the shift lever, and into the positioning hole on the bracket. Use only a 6.0 mm (0.24 in) pin with no burrs.
Type A Shift Lever
Type B Shift Lever
11. Align the shift cable slot (A) between the socket holder (B) and the socket holder retainer (C) with the opening (D) in the shift cable bracket (E), then slide the holder into the bracket while installing the shift cable end (F) over the mounting stud (G) by aligning its square hole (H) with the square fitting (I) at the bottom of the stud.
Do not install the shift cable by holding the shift cable guide (J).
NOTE: When the socket holder is installed in the shift cable bracket, the retainer lock is unhinged and releases the holder retainer lock, then the holder retainer returns under spring force to secure the shift cable.
12. Push the retainer lock (A) fully to lock the socket holder retainer (B), and make sure that the retainer lock fits into the hinged-joint (C). If the retainer lock does not fit with the edge of the hinged-joint, rotate the holder retainer counterclockwise while pushing the retainer lock until it locks.
13. Make sure the shift cable end (A) is properly installed on the mounting stud (B).
-If the cable end is out of position on the mounting stud, remove the shift cable from the shift cable bracket, and reinstall the shift cable. Do not install the shift cable end on the mounting stud while the shift cable is on the shift cable bracket.
-If the cable end rides on the bottom of the mounting stud, rotate the stud and align the square fitting with the hole.
14. Install and tighten the nut (A) on the shift cable end.
15. Remove the 6.0 mm (0.24 in) pin (B) that was installed to hold the shift lever.
16. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II). Move the shift lever to each position, and check that the A/T gear position indicator follows the transmission range switch.
17. Shift the shift lever to P, and check that the shift lock works properly. Push the shift lock release, and check that the shift lever releases, and also check that the shift lever locks when it is shifted back to P.
18. Install the center console (see page 20-158).
Valve Stem-to-Guide Clearance
1. Remove the valves (see page 6-86). 2. Subtract the O.D. of the valve stem, measured with a micrometer, from the I.D. of the valve guide, measured with an inside micrometer or a ball gauge. ...
Front Fender Trim Replacement
2-door NOTE: - Take care not to scratch the front grille cover or the body. - When prying with a flat-tip screwdriver, wrap it with protective tape to prevent damage. - The left side is show ...