Honda Accord: Overheating
How to Handle Overheating
Overheating symptoms are as follows:
• The temperature gauge needle is at the
mark or the engine suddenly loses
• Steam or spray comes out of the engine compartment.
• First thing to do
1. Immediately park the vehicle in a safe place.
2. Turn off all accessories and turn on the hazard warning lights.
- No steam or spray present: Keep the engine running and open the hood.
- Steam or spray is present: Turn off the engine and wait until it subsides.
Then open the hood.
Steam and spray from an overheated engine can seriously scald you.
Do not open the hood if steam is coming out.
Continuing to drive with the temperature gauge needle at the mark may damage the engine.
• Next thing to do
1. Check that the cooling fan is operating and
stop the engine once the temperature
gauge needle comes down.
- If the cooling fan is not operating, immediately stop the engine.
2. Once the engine has cooled down, inspect the coolant level and check the cooling system components for leaks.
- If the coolant level in the reserve tank is low, add coolant until it reaches the MAX mark.
- If there is no coolant in the reserve tank, check that the radiator is cool. Cover the radiator cap with a heavy cloth and open the cap. If necessary, add coolant up to the base of the filler neck, and put the cap back on.
Removing the radiator cap while the engine is hot can cause the coolant to spray out, seriously scalding you.
Always let the engine and radiator cool down before removing the radiator cap.
If the coolant is leaking, contact a dealer for repairs.
Use water as an emergency/temporary measure only.
Have a dealer flush the system with proper antifreeze as soon as possible.
• Last thing to do
Once the engine has cooled sufficiently, restart it and check the temperature gauge.
If the temperature gauge needle has gone down, resume driving. If it has not gone down, contact a dealer for repairs.
Crankshaft Pulley Removal and Installation
Special Tools Required Handle, 6-25-660L 07JAB-001020B Crankshaft Pulley Holder 07AAB-RJAA100 Socket, 19 mm 07JAA-001020A or equivalent Removal 1 . Remove the front wheels. 2. Remove the splas ...
iPod Error Messages (Models without navigation system)
If you see an error message on the audio display while playing an iPod, find the solution in the chart to the right. If you cannot clear the error message, take your vehicle to your dealer. ...
Important Safety Precautions
Refer to the safety information that came with your garage door opener to test that the safety features are functioning properly. If you do not have this information, contact the manufacture ...