Honda Accord: ECM/PCM Update
Special Tools Required
- Honda diagnostic system (HDS) tablet tester
- Honda Interface Module (HIM) and an iN workstation with the latest HDS software version
- HDS pocket tester
- GNA600 and an iN workstation with the latest HDS software version
Any one of above updating tools can be used.
NOTE: - Make sure the HDS/iN workstation has the latest software version.
- Before you update the ECM/PCM, make sure the battery in the vehicle is fully charged, and connect a jumper battery (not a battery charger) to maintain system voltage.
- Never turn the ignition switch to ACC (I) or LOCK (0) during the update. If there is a problem with the update, leave the ignition switch in ON (II).
- To prevent ECM/PCM damage, do not operate anything electrical (headlights, audio system, brakes, A/C, power windows, moonroof (if equipped), door locks, etc.) during the update.
- To ensure the latest program is installed, do an ECM/PCM update whenever the ECM/PCM is substituted or replaced.
- You cannot update an ECM/PCM with a program it already has. It will only accept a new program.
- High temperature in the engine compartment might cause the ECM/PCM to become too hot to run the update. If the engine has been running before this procedure, open the hood and cool the engine compartment.
- If you need to diagnose the Honda interface module (HIM) because the HIM's red (#3) light came on or was flashing during the update, leave the ignition switch in ON (II) when you disconnect the HIM from the data link connector (DLC). This will prevent ECM/PCM damage.
1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II), but do not start the engine.
2. Connect the HDS to the data link connector (DLC) (A) located under the driver's side of the dashboard.
3. Make sure the HDS communicates with the ECM/PCM and other vehicle systems. If it doesn't, go to the DLC circuit troubleshooting (see page 11-181). If you are returning from the DLC circuit troubleshooting, skip steps 4 and 5, and clean the throttle body after updating the ECM/PCM (see page 11-332).
4. Select the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.
5. Select the ETCS TEST, then select the TP POSITION CHECK, and follow the HDS screen prompts.
NOTE: If the TP POSITION CHECK indicates FAILED, continue this procedure.
6. Exit the HDS diagnostic system, then select the update mode, and follow the screen prompts to update the ECM/PCM.
7. If the software In the ECM/PCM Is the latest disconnect the HDS/HIM/GNA600 from the DLC, and go back to the procedure that you were doing. If the software in the ECM/PCM Is not the latest, follow the Instructions on the screen. If prompted to choose the PGM-FI system or the A/T system, make sure you update both.
NOTE: If the ECM/PCM update system requires you to cool the ECM/PCM, follow the instructions on screen.
If you run into a problem during the update procedure (programming takes over 15 minutes, status bar goes over 100 %, D or immobilizer Indicator flashes, HDS tablet freezes, etc.), follow these steps to minimize the chance of damaging the ECM/PCM: - Leave the ignition switch in ON (II).
- Connect a jumper battery (do not connect a battery - Shut down the HDS.
- Disconnect the HDS from the DLC.
- Reboot the HDS.
- Reconnect the HDS to the DLC, and do the update procedure again.
8. If the TP POSITION CHECK failed in step 5, clean the throttle body (see page 11-332).
9. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure (see page 11-293).
10. Do the CKP pattern clear/CKP pattern learn procedure.
How to Use This Manual
This manual is divided into multiple sections, The first page of each section is marked with a black tab that lines up with its corresponding thumb index tab on this page and the back cover. You ...
To play the tracks on the current disc in random order, select TRACK RANDOM, and press ENTER on the interface selector. As a reminder, you will see RANDOM next to TRACK on the screen. To tur ...
Recommended Shift Points
Drive in the highest gear that lets the engine run and accelerate smoothly. This will give you good fuel economy and effective emissions control. The following shift points are recommended: ...