Honda Accord: Steering Gearbox Removal
Special Tools Required
-Engine Hanger Adapter VSB02C000015*
вЂўEngine Support Hanger, A and Reds AAR-T1256*
-Ball Joint Remover, 28 mm 07MAC-SL0A202
-Ball Joint Thread Protector, 12 mm 07AAF-SDAA100
вЂўSubframe Adapter VSB02C000016*
*: Available through the Honda Tool and Equipment Program, 888-424-6857.
SRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations: 4-door (see page 24-21), 2-door (see page 24-23) and the precautions (see page 24-25) and procedures before doing repairs or service.
Note these items during removal: -Using clean solvent and a brush, wash any oil and dirt off the valve body unit, it's lines, and the end of the steering gearbox. Blow dry with compressed air.
-Be sure to remove the steering wheel before disconnecting the steering joint, or damage to the cable reel can occur.
-Lower the front subframe from the body, and remove the steering gearbox through the gap produced by lowering the front subframe.
1. Drain the power steering fluid (see page 17-28).
2. Do the battery terminal disconnection procedure (see page 22-91).
3. Raise and support the vehicle (see page 1-13).
4. Remove the front wheels.
5. Remove the driver's airbag (see page 24-211), and the steering wheel (see page 17-6).
6. Remove steering joint cover (A).
7. Loosen the upper steering joint bolt (A), and remove the lower steering joint bolt (B). Disconnect the steering joint (C) by sliding the steering joint into the column shaft (D). Tighten the upper steering joint bolt to hold the steering joint in place.
NOTE: Do not disconnect the steering joint from the column shaft.
8. Remove the center guide (A) (if equipped) from the top of the pinion shaft (B), and discard it.
10. Remove the hood support rod, then use it as shown to prop the hood in the wide-open position.
11. Remove the front grille cover:
-4-door (see page 20-274)
-2-door (see page 20-274)
12. Remove the strut brace (if equipped) (see page 20-306).
13. Remove the P/S heat shield (A).
14. Attach the engine hanger adapter (VSB02C000015) to the threaded hole in the cylinder head.
15. Install the engine support hanger (AAR-T1256), then attach the hook to the slotted hole in the hanger t adapter. Tighten the wing nut (A) by hand to lift and support the engine/transmission.
NOTE: Be careful when working around the windshield.
16. Remove the rear engine mount (A).
17. A/T: Remove the rear engine mount upper bracket (A) from the base bracket (B).
18. Remove the inlet line clamp bolt (A) and the return line clamp bolt (B).
19. Loosen the flare nuts, and disconnect the inlet line (C) and the return line (D).
20. Remove the inlet line clamp bolt (A) and the return hose clamp bolt (B).
21. Release the return hose clamp (C)f and remove the return hose (D).
22. Remove the return line clamp bolt (A).
23. Release the return line clamp (B), and remove the return line (C).
24. Remove the flange bolts from the passenger's side of the steering gearbox, then remove the gearbox mounting bracket (A) and mounting cushion (B).
25. Remove the mounting bolts (A) and the flange bolts (B) from the driver's side of the steering gearbox, and remove the stiffener plates (C) and the washers (D).
26. Remove cotter pin (A) from the tie-rod end ball joint, then remove the nut (B) on both sides.
27. Disconnect the tie-rod end ball joint from the knuckle using the ball joint thread protector and the ball joint remover on both side (see page 18-10).
NOTE: Be careful not to damage the ball joint boot when installing the remover.
28. Raise the vehicle.
29. Remove the front splash shield (see page 20-291).
30. Remove exhaust pipe A (see page 9-9).
31. Remove the damper fork mounting nut (A) and the mounting bolt (B).
32. Attach the front subframe adapter (VSB02C000016) to the subframe by looping the strap (A) over the front of the subframe, then secure the strap with the stop (B), then tighten the wing nut (C).
33. Remove the front subframe middle mounting bolts on the passenger's side.
34. Remove the front subframe middle mount (A) on the driver's side.
35. Remove the flange nuts (A) from the lower transmission mount.
36. Remove the flange bolts (A) from the front subframe front stiffeners (B).
37. Loosen the front subframe mounting bolts (C) so they are about 20 mm (0.79 in) from the mounting surface.
Do not loosen the front subframe mounting bolts more than necessary.
38. Remove the flange bolts (A) and front subframe mounting bolts (B) from the front subframe rear stiffeners (C).
39. Lower the jack slowly until the front subframe has dropped about 69 mm (2.71 in).
40. Carefully move the steering gearbox (A) toward the driver's side until the pinion shaft clears the fenderwell opening on the body.
41. Remove the steering gearbox (A) through the fenderwell opening on the driver's side.
43. After removing the steering gearbox, make sure that no power steering fluid gets on the gearbox mount cushions, the gearbox housing, the surface of the front subframe, and stiffener. Wipe off any spilled fluid at once.
Special Tools Required - Clutch Alignment Disc 07JAF-PM7011A - Ring Gear Holder 07LAB-PV00100 or 07924-PD20003 - Clutch Alignment Tool Set 07PAF-0020000 - Clutch Alignment ...
Auxiliary Jack Assembly
1. Remove the center console (see page 20-158). 2. Disconnect the 5P connector (A), and carefully pull out the auxiliary jack assembly (B) from the center console box. 3. Install the auxiliary ...
Fuel Filter Replacement
The fuel filter should be replaced whenever the fuel pressure drops below the specified value (see page 11-308), after making sure that the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator are OK. 1. R ...